It could be seen blowing hot flames toward the spectators in a manner that resembled a massive flamethrower. Smoke blew out from the flames into the air toward spectators sitting nearby who were forced to move back a few rows to safety.
The malfunction took place just 10 minutes before the scheduled noon kickoff.
Stadium employees quickly extinguished the fire. The start of the game was unaffected by the eruption and no one was injured.
Crews reportedly covered the pyrotechnics machine with sand following the incident, and all that remained was a charred mound on the sidelines.
“There was a mechanical failure by one of the pyrotechnic devices which resulted in a fire,” the team later said in a statement. “The vendor will be required by the state of Tennessee to undergo an inspection for the defective device and the others that were used to determine the final cause.”
Fox News’ Mike Arroyo contributed to this report.