Magic: The Gathering game maker exposed 452,000 players account data

The maker of Magic: The Gathering has confirmed that a security lapse exposed the data on hundreds of thousands of game players. The game’s developer, the Washington-based Wizards of the Coast, left a database backup file in a public Amazon Web Services storage bucket. The database file contained user account information for the game’s online arena. But there was no password on the storage bucket, allowing anyone to access the files inside. The bucket is not believed to have been exposed for long — since around early-September — but it was long enough for U.K. cybersecurity firm Fidus Information Security to find the database. A review of the database file showed there were 452,634 players’ information, including about 470 email …

Facebooks lead EU regulator is asking questions about its latest security fail

Facebook’s lead data protection regulator in Europe has confirmed it’s put questions to the company about a major security breach that we reported on yesterday. “The DPC became aware of this issue through the recent media coverage and we immediately made contact with Facebook and we have asked them a series of questions. We are awaiting Facebook’s responses to those questions,” a spokeswoman for the Irish Data Protection Commission told us. We’ve reached out to Facebook for a response. As we reported earlier, a security research discovered an unsecured database of hundreds of millions of phone numbers linked to Facebook accounts. The exposed server contained more than 419 million records over several databases on Facebook users from multiple countries, including …

Reliability concerns raised over pi-tops STEM learning laptop

TechCrunch has learned of a safety issue and a number of product reliability questions being raised about a modular computer made by a London edtech startup that’s intended for children to learn coding and electronics. The product, called the pi-top 3, is a Raspberry Pi-powered laptop with a keyboard that slides out to access a rail for breadboarding electronics. A student at a US school had to be attended by a nurse after touching a component in the device which had overheated, leaving them with redness to their finger. A spokesperson for Cornell Tech confirmed the incident to us — which they said had happened in June. We’ve withheld the name of the school at their request. In an internal …